...constantly searching to find the best travel deals and places to visit. A never-ending quest for adventure!

Monday, June 4, 2012

a trip to Yemen?

I have a fond place in my heart for Qatar, given my study trips there as well as upcoming research in the fall.  Suffice it to say I can see myself living there based on how welcoming everyone is and how amazing the environment is for education and learning.  So...I thought I'd highlight a "place of the day" that is close to Doha and would be on my list of places to visit (providing that it's safe):

Shibam - Wadi Hadhramawt, Yemen


This is a very remote but spectacular oasis of fields and orchards, surrounded by desert.  It also is the largest wadi (or oasis) in the Arabian Peninsula.  Made famous by trade routes from the past, this has some of the most beautiful mosques and minarets in Yemen.  You can get here by flying into Sana'a and making drive from there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment