...constantly searching to find the best travel deals and places to visit. A never-ending quest for adventure!

Monday, November 19, 2012

T-minus 2 days

The packing has already begun, but I'm only a short two days away from my short Incan adventure.  I heard back this morning from my staff colleague who made it down to Lima safely and is already on to
Ollantaytambo.  He's reporting a very asymptomatic experience so far with the altitude, so I'm thinking that will bode well for me too (although I've already convinced myself of starting up some ibuprofen on Wednesday before Friday afternoon hits).  Better to be safe than sorry - in all of the times I've been in the mountains and high up in Colorado, I can't recall ever having any altitude sickness issues.  And Machu Picchu is at the same height relative to a place like Aspen.  But the trick is Cusco - that is around a height of 10,200 feet, so chances of feeling something are greatly increased.  And, since there really isn't any other way of getting to the ruins without going through Cusco, I will need to need to brave the city for about 14 hours on each end (Friday eve and Saturday eve) before flying out Sunday morning.  I think I can handle it.

Any suggestions on things to pack?


No comments:

Post a Comment