...constantly searching to find the best travel deals and places to visit. A never-ending quest for adventure!

Thursday, April 18, 2013

On the road again: to 29 Palms!

Last weekend my travels took me to a new place I've never visited - Twentynine Palms, CA. (also known as 29 Palms).  The reason for the trip was to visit friends who are stationed at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms. This base is one of our nation's primary training centers for combat troops heading overseas to Afghanistan.  I was excited for the visit, and also excited for the drive (since I think my last trip this direction was a trek to Vegas which ended up being quite long). Security was tight when I arrived, but after a short wait and ID verification I was through and on the base.



As you can see, my route took me through Temecula, Hemet, Beaumont, and Yucca Valley. I was also a short distance from Palm Springs, but didn't have time to head that way - next trip I'll do a diversion.  The area between Hemet and Beaumont has a large farming area, and the cattle farms I saw were huge (with appropriate smells to go with).  I didn't realize that the area was so big in farming, since you start in a relatively mild region and end up in the desert by the time you turn toward 29 Palms. 


I loved the view - being in the desert yet seeing snow-covered mountains was a treat.  I also liked leaving 55 degrees and overcast for 85 and sunny.  I'm labeling this trip under "family", since that's how my trip felt when it was all done.  Can't wait to visit again!

No comments:

Post a Comment