...constantly searching to find the best travel deals and places to visit. A never-ending quest for adventure!

Friday, December 20, 2013

Place of the Day: Phnom Penh

I seem to recall Cambodia as one of the countries on "Where in the world is Carmen San Diego" that everyone had a hard time locating.  It's definitely on my list of places within the region to visit once I get that far, with such a rich culture and history to explore.  I tend to not let regional instability get to me too much, and I'm fairly confident that Cambodia has been relatively peaceful of late.  Hence, a future visit:



I think the one place I'd like to visit (at the top of my list) is the Silver Pagoda (which by the way is named due to 5000 silver tiles).  Holding a rare repository of Khmer Art and civilization artifacts, the Pagoda managed to survive the rule of Pol Pot in the 70s, but just barely.  A highlight continues to be the life-size gold Buddha adorned with more than 9500 diamonds - a site to be seen!

Most of the major airline alliances can get you to the region, so using points or miles shouldn't be too difficult.  If you can spare the time, you may also be able to sneak in a visit to Vietnam or even Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment