...constantly searching to find the best travel deals and places to visit. A never-ending quest for adventure!

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Travel plans for 2014

2014 is here, and that means I am once again evaluating my travel plans/habits/hobby for the coming year.  Last year I did a fairly good job and status-keeping, although I managed to come up short on 1K for United by about two trips.  This was mainly because I ended up flying enough miles on American to get their mid-tier status for this year due to a status challenge.  So...what to do for 2014?

Flying and Status

This one is going to be tough for this year, since most of the major airlines have introduced Premier Qualifying Dollars (PQD) into the status equation.  American has not, but most likely could once more merger details are released.

I've preferred always earning miles on United, as mileage redemption options always seem to be better than most (and without huge fuel surcharges).  But I'm also taking a long look at Alaska Airlines for this year...one big plus is the ability to earn Elite Qualifying miles on any of their partners.  This would cover any AA or Delta flights for me but wouldn't help my United bottom line.  The PQD addition means my ability to earn 1K has ended...I just don't spend the $$$ required to make it ($10,000!).  That means Alaska/AA is definitely in play (despite my desire to fly on all Star Alliance members).

Locations

I'm hopeful that 2014 will bring me to several new destinations, including Seoul and other places in Eastern Europe.  I always enjoy visiting Zurich when I get the chance, but I want to expand my reach this year if time, money, and vacation hours permit.

A few places on my list include Zagreb, Morocco, Monaco, and Guam.  I think most of these are doable at the right times of the year.

If possible I also want to get in a trip to Phillips and do some snowmobiling...here's hoping!

Grateful

Through everything that has happened in the last year, I continue to be grateful for all of the many blessings and opportunities that I've had to travel.  Here's to a fun 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment