...constantly searching to find the best travel deals and places to visit. A never-ending quest for adventure!

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Best Credit Cards for Grocery


I don't know about you, but a big percentage of my monthly budget is allocated for grocery purchases.  If you have a larger family, then your budget might be skewed even more toward your local supermarket.  I tend to look for credit cards that afford me some benefit for my typical monthly purchases, and in the case of grocery and food, this fits.  While I don't live close to a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, I do have a Windmill Farms location relatively close and I'm a short walk to my standard grocery store.  So...what cards make the most sense for supermarkets?  Sadly, my Chase Sapphire Preferred does not have a category bonus for grocery.  I must look elsewhere!

Here are my top choices:

Hilton Amex (no annual fee!)
Earn 7 points per $1 spent on eligible Hilton purchases
Earn 5 points per $1 spent on eligible gas, supermarket, and restaurant purchases
Earn 3 points per $1 spent on everything else

United Mileage Plus Select
Earn 3 miles per $1 spent on eligible United purchases
Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on eligible gas, home improvement purchases, groceries, dining and Star Alliance purchases.

British Airways Visa  
Earn 2.5 Avios for every $1 you spend on British Airways purchases.
Earn 1.25 Avios for every $1 you spend everywhere else.

I know what you're thinking - these aren't particularly great choices.  If you have an Amex Premier Rewards Gold card, that will also get you 2x points for grocery - I cancelled mine when the annual fee came due.  Too much $!  Another option might be the IHG card from Chase if you have it - it also has a double points option.

What card do you use for grocery purchases?

No comments:

Post a Comment